Thursday, December 23, 2010

New Year, New Thoughts!

FAILED New Year Resolutions of the past:

I won't bite my nails. Every year I say I won't bite my nails, and every year they get shorter.

I will work out. Seriously - why would I even utter those words? Not. Gonna. Happen. I just don't care if my arm jiggles a little bit or if I get out of breath walking down Arthur Street.

I won't buy any more shoes. Ok. That's just pure silliness.

In case you didn't catch my drift, every year I make promises to myself that I don't keep. But seriously - they don't mean much of anything anyway. Who cares if I bite my nails or if I have a little bit of extra meat on my bones? A good pair of heels makes up for a few extra pounds, right? ;)

In truth though - my life has flown by. Sure... I'm only 23 years old, and I've only been married a year, but I've wasted a lot of time wishing it away. How many of us are constantly looking forward to the next season in our lives that we miss the 'here and now'?

I spent 4 years in college wishing it was over. I spent 10 months dating Greg and wishing we were engaged. I spent 5 months being engaged and wishing we were married. I spent 1 year being married and wishing we were parents. Get my drift? Are you guilty of that?

So this year I'm making a promise to myself. I'm going to be happy with this season in my life. Because you know what - I really like this part of my life and I don't want it to fly by.

Yes, Greg and I do wish for a baby this year, but I am going to be happy that we don't have one right now. We like to make selfish decisions. We like sleeping in, staying up late, and spending our money on ourselves. I like having conversations with him that aren't interrupted by whining and crying and pooping. Someday we won't get to do that anymore, so I won't wish today away.

Yes, I do want my own home with my husband, but I'm happy that we don't own a home now because we don't have to write out a check to the bank every month. There is plenty of time to fork over our money later. I'm also glad that I don't have an entire house to clean - because I have trouble managing a tiny apartment.

That being said, I'll probably still 'count down the days until Friday'. I'm human! I will still profess that I 'can't wait' until we have a baby because I think babies are the biggest blessing on the face of this Earth. I will even count down the days until summer and sunshine and tanning - because I'm a girl.

The difference is that while I wait for all of my 'future dreams' to come true, I'm going to start appreciating and soaking up every moment I have today. Today is enough for me - just as it is.




"These things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue... a single day!" - Habakkuk 2:3






2 comments:

  1. Love this, Kayla! It is so true! We spend so much of our life wishing it away! Merry Christmas Eve, Kayla, to you & yours! Love, Peggy Myers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, Kayla. Take it from someone who has probably lived 2/3 of her life already, time flies by way too quickly! Enjoy the here and now and rest assured that our good God has every detail of the wonderful life He has planned for you under His control AND timing. He's never early or late with what is BEST for us. I LOVE reading your posts. I pray God's richest blessings on you and Greg in 2011. Love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete