Friday, October 9, 2009

Planning A Wedding...

Let me tell you something about a planning a wedding: everything must be perfect.

That's what it feels like sometimes. Little girls dream of their weddings from the time they can talk and walk. They play house, have make-believe families, and work out all the tiny little details in their head before they can even drive a car. It's just what girls do.

Me? Not so much. I can honestly say I've never envisioned my wedding day. Atleast not in the stereotypical girly way. Don't get me wrong, there were many nights my best friend and I would sit up and talk about our prince charming - dreaming about a guy that loved and lived for God, a man great with kids, smart, and funny, throw in a nice smile. There were many moments when we'd walk by a jewelry store and peak our heads in at the display. Many nights I prayed for my husband, tired of what felt like a never-ending search for a half decent guy.

And then it happened. God answered the prayers of my heart, picked out a guy much better than I actually dreamed, and here we are. And guess what? Suddenly the world expects a beautiful over-the-top wedding - perfect flowers (that most likely will die that night), five layers of cake (that nobody will eat), and a stunning gown (that my children will scoff at someday). Hello!? I'm marrying my best friend, a guy in love with Jesus, a hard working, smart, funny, handsome man - and he's going to be mine! You're worried about the cake? Seriously? That's what I'm thinking and sometimes I mutter quite loudly.

So, I made my decision. I will not lose sight of the most important part of our day.

The flowers? I'll know what the flowers look like the day of the wedding. I sent Greg to suggest a few general colors, and moved on.

The cake? It will surely be beautiful! But I have no idea what flavor it will be and I will find out after dinner with the rest of the guests.

The dress? I bought the first dress I tried on. My reaction? "This is nice." "NICE?" the lady said, "We don't send brides home with a dress they think is nice." "But I like it." "We don't send brides home with dresses they like. You need one you LOVE." So we tried on ten more to appease my mother, Heidi, and the kind sales lady about to go into shock. An hour later, I left with the nice dress I tried on and liked the first time. It looked fine and it fit. I don't love it with every ounce of my heart and it's not the most beautiful piece of fabric I've ever seen. (Don't get me wrong, it's nice and I like it. You probably will, too.)

But lets be honest... On November 7th I get to marry my best friend. I love him and he is the most beautiful gift I've been given.

Suddenly the thought of that dress doesn't matter much at all.

2 comments:

  1. Kayla - This was a great post. These were my sentiments concerning my wedding too. I think that when people go crazy with the wedding, they often lose sight of the purpose of the wedding - to unite two people in God's eyes. It's nice to see that you're grounded in what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I'm leaving another comment. :) Suggestion - you may want to enable the "follow" option for your blog. That way when I log into the dashboard of my blog as a follower of your blog, my reader will show if you've posted. You don't have to have a public display of your "followers" on your blog page - you can keep it private so only you can see it. Once the option is enabled, there will be a little box on your blog that the readers can click on and choose to follow. I can't find that little box on your blog. And I can't remember if I had to do something to make it show up on mine, but I must have.

    ReplyDelete